Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Penne
Friendly and family-friendly, ideal for busy weekday evenings, this hearty chicken penne will please everyone.
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
- 1½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 21 oz cream of chicken soup (two-10.5 oz cans) Don’t add water
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. dried leaf tarragon can substitute oregano or thyme here
- 1½ cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 small sweet yellow onion diced
- Add at the end
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 lb. penne pasta cooked according to package directions on the stove-top
- Add the cream of chicken soup and chicken broth to the slow cooker, stir until smooth.
- Add the tarragon, pepper, mushrooms and onions, stir.
- Add the chicken breasts.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- After the cooking time is up, start cooking the pasta according to the package directions to Al dente on the stove-top, do not over cook!
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Add sour cream and half of the cheese, stir.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta and stir again.
- Sprinkle over remaining cheese. Cover the slow cooker and cook for an additional 20 minutes on low.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you have extra picky eaters and want to omit the mushrooms and onions add an additional 1/2 cup of broth. This will replace the moisture from the mushrooms and onions.
Calories: 563kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 881mg | Potassium: 673mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 636IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 274mg | Iron: 2mg